All new customers are required to adhere to the following guidelines when installing their service line to their home or business:
- Pipe must be copper tubing or plastic tubing with a minimum pressure of 200 PSI and containing a NSF stamp of approval.
- Pipe must be a minimum of ¾ inch in diameter for distances less than 100 feet. A minimum of 1 inch in diameter for distances over 100 feet but less than 500 feet, and 2 inches in diameter for distances over 500 feet.
- All fittings and connections must be copper or brass.
- Must be buried a minimum of 30 inches.
- Must have a shut off valve installed immediately inside the foundation wall or other readily accessible location.
- Cross connections are prohibited. Cannot be connected to any other source of supply such as a well or cistern.
- Cannot be connected or extended to any other premises other than that to be served.
- No grounding for electrical, telephone, or cable service can be attached to the water pipe.
- Must be installed in a trench with a 2 feet parallel separation from other pipes or wires such as gas, sewer, telephone, electric, cable, etc.
- Installation may be inspected by the utility prior to backfilling the trench.
Installation of service by the Raleigh County PSD varies in a time frame dependent on the types of permits by law to set a new service.